Mini Snowman

by Meredith 12. December 2019 05:46

I made a little felted snowman for Ari's Christmas village that she's building in her room (penny for scale).

In a Holi-daze: Baby Krampus

by Meredith 11. December 2019 17:00

A figure from folklore and all the best holiday cards, Baby Krampus is half-goat, half-demon and full baby cuteness. I ended up making two of this guy, one for a gift exchange and one to keep for myself (because I fell in love with him).

Basics: Felting Ornaments

by Meredith 7. December 2019 17:48

Not a step-by-step photo, but here are the key pieces I've used for starting the felted holiday ornaments. 

Bead with String - To make a secure string, tie some embroidery floss around a large bead. Then, wrap the wool around the bead to start your felted object.

Glass Bead - I sometimes add a glass bead to the bottom of the felted object to create a little weight there if the figure needs to stand up.

Felt Roving - Layers of wool roving get wrapped around into a general shape and then compacted with the felting needle.

Forest Colors

by Meredith 6. December 2019 17:57

Dyed two more colors of wool today. Eventually got a dark brown but it is more red than I would like. I already had a mossy green (I dyed) and a dark emerald green (purchased). I wanted a green color in the middle of these two. Results turned out ok. I used the moss green color mixed with black. I know that black dye separates but I didn't expect it to do it as much as it did. There are streaks of brown in the green. Ah well. Should blend well in the carders though.

With both the dark brown and dark green I had to dye the roving twice. I think it felted the wool slightly. It’s been nearly ten years since I last dyed wool I’m certain there were parts of the process I had forgotten about. Again, ah well. I will just have to try dying more.

 

 

 

 

When You Need More Colors, Make Them

by Meredith 5. December 2019 16:07

What's cooking? Wool! I ran out of brown and need to dye more. I'm hoping for a coffee color, but we will see. It's been over ten years since I've done this. Not bad. I'm going to put a bit more green in next time and try to get another batch a bit darker.

It’s Convention Time: OryCon 41

by Meredith 10. November 2019 19:45


OryCon 41 Nov 8 2019 - Nov 10 2019
Maddie talked me into entering the Masquerade Costume Contest and we won Best in Class (Novice). Woohoo! Ari got to bedazzle everyone as a Fire Elemental and be fierce as a Black Dragon. There was crafting and dance parties and Johann Sebastian Joust. Good times had by all!


See also: "Making Of" Photo Gallery for more pictures of how the costumes were made.

Time to Prep for Packing!

by Meredith 7. November 2019 11:40


Getting closer to being done. That big pile of fabric has been turned into a pile of costumes. Everything is getting matched together with the full outfit to make sure we have all the pieces completed and can make a to-do list for the remaining items. Brea's vest was a bit of a challenge for me. I had some pink fabric on hand that was close in color but not quite. I thought just sewing in the details would be enough but that didn't work out so I pulled out the airbrush. I can count on one hand how often I have used this airbrush. But airbrushing the fabric worked! It was one of those "have faith" processes. OryCon 41, here we come!

Skeksis Costume is Moving Along

by Meredith 27. October 2019 10:23

The Skekso dress now has long sleeves (pretty proud of those) and I made a new collar to fill in the scoop neck. Crazy sequin shoulders are stitched on. And we got really lucky with the cape I bought, the front is magenta but it turns out the reverse side of the fabric is silver. Reverse side up looks fantastic and the magenta shows through a bit as she walks around, reflecting the red of the dress. I stuffed the collar with tulle and just safety pinned it in place. I'll have to figure out how I want to stitch it down.

Wigging Out

by Meredith 22. October 2019 11:31


Adding color to a plain white wig is turning out even better than I had hoped. It's been years since I had bought synthetic and I was super stoked to find they made these ombre colors now. I overbought and now need to come up with a new project or put it up on a Buy Nothing group. I just used slip knots to attach to the netting. To make the braids fuller I used a light colored tulle tucked inside the hair to bulk up the strands. As long as no one looks too closely you can't see it. I matched the braid work to Brea's as best I could. It's not exact but I think close enough people will get the hint. Her ears are needle felted wool that I just sewed right into the wig netting.

Making Progress

by Meredith 13. October 2019 09:18


A lot of interruptions to progress on the costumes today but Maddie and I got her base skirt done. Our youngest has picked out two costumes that she wants to wear at the convention based on finds from our thrift store shopping. She wants to be a fire elemental (found a pretty sweet skirt that looks like flames) and a black dragon. Goodwill had dragon masks in the Halloween section but they weren't black so Hunter and Ari broke out the paint to make it the right color. They also started patterning some back scales to go with the wings we already had laying around.

About Meredith Cook

Welcome to my repository of creative expression. I'm not a happy camper unless I am making something and over the years I have dabbled in quite a few different kinds of art projects. Some projects come from taking art classes, others are completely hobby driven, and projects like home decor come from a need to customize an item and make it better or unique. The overall theme behind what I do is to learn how to manipulate objects and practice what I know about visual aesthetic and good design. Oh yeah, and to have fun.

Archive