27. July 2013 07:26
Recycling plastic lids and hummus containers are my favorite paint containers. The plastic lids from containers that mixed nuts or peanut butter are sold in make the best paint palettes. And they fit perfectly into empty hummus containers. I would use one plastic lid for each color set and then store them in the hummus containers. They would stay moist for a day or two until I could paint again. If they dried I could then scrape the lid and pull the old dry paint off (it peels off like plastic) and reuse the lid. Cheap and super handy!
20. July 2013 07:20
One of my major concerns when paint the murals was to make the colors seem cohesive over the entire painting. I have the tendency to use color directly from the tube and that can make the images very jarring as one color clashes with another. A trick I picked up in art classes years ago is to use a base color that all other colors of the painting are mixed with. The color from the tubes are then treated as pigments, tinting the base color into various shades. With Madeline's mural I used two colors as a base, a beige and a turquoise. Arianna's mural used mostly a beige and just a little bit of a gray blue.
13. July 2013 07:14
For Madeline's mural I created contact sheets of images that I used as inspiration. It was time consuming to collect the images from the web, compile them into pages, and then print them out. I tried collecting the images into to Flickr and Picasa and that too was time consuming requiring downloading and uploading images. I finally figured out creating a Pinterest board and then viewing the images with my tablet was the best option. Covering the screen of the tablet with cling wrap worked to protect the screen from paint.
17. May 2012 22:27
It would be nice to clean out her room and take some really nice photos with good lighting but setting that up is unlikely to happen for awhile. Until then, I have compiled all the photos we’ve taken of the finished mural into one gallery. I have also collected all the “Making of” images into its own gallery as well.
1. May 2012 22:50
I have collected all the “Making of” images into a gallery for easy browsing. I've also added captions to explain where in the process they were taken.
13. July 2011 23:05
The tape is off of the mural border and the first coat of paint is on the arches. Sooooo close to being done!
12. July 2011 23:04
I think I am ready to peal the tape off the mural borders and paint the arches.
15. June 2011 22:59
Totally had a Bob Ross moment while painting the frogs. I keep looking at them and thinking to myself "damn I'm good!" :D
7. June 2011 22:56
Took a bunch of mural photos this morning. I think I'm done with the wisteria and nearly done with the castle. The tree panel is nearly complete. Still have to complete a flowering shrub, lily flowers, castle window, couple of frogs & fairies, a dragon and the railing. So close & yet so far!
9. April 2011 22:55
I've done some work on the castle and the peacock. Enjoy!